The Wipeout Cancer Sports Day bike ride will be a day full of fun and excitement where riders of all levels join forces and support cancer organizations focused on patient care.
The Sports Day bike event is a ride, not a race. Whether you are an occasional rider or an experienced cyclist, there is a route just for you. SAG support and aid stations will be available. Complimentary bike tune-ups will be available for all bike participants in the morning at the Campbell Community Center. Complimentary bike valet at the Campbell Community Center will be provided for all bike participants.
Helmets are required for all riders.
Date: July 26, 2014
Start times: (Ride leaders will start at the time posted. Arrive 15-30 minutes early for check-in):
- Challenge Ride (100km) – 7:30 am (ride duration: 4-6 hours)
- Fitness Ride (50km) – 9:00 am (ride duration: 2-3 hours)
- Fun Ride* (up to 10km) – course is open from 10:00 am – 1:00 pm (ride duration: 1-3 hours)
Location: Campbell Community Center, Campbell, CA
Three rides to choose from (tentative routes posted below):
- Fun* – This is a short ride around the neighborhood for kids aged 4-12 to improve their bicycle skills and have a fun spin with supervised activities. Parents/guardian can join kids as they navigate their bikes along a 1 mile route in the quiet streets directly behind the Campbell Community Center. Kids can ride the route multiple times while the Fun course is open. Note: For the safety of our riders, we will NOT ride along the Los Gatos Creek Trail this year.
- Fitness – 50km (31 miles), 1000 feet elevation. This course is mostly flat, which is appropriate for most beginner and intermediate road cyclists. You’re welcome to ride your mountain bike or hybrid, though the course consists entirely of paved roads. The fitness ride takes you north through Cupertino, along Foothill Boulevard where you can rest at an aid station at Lincoln Park in Los Altos after 13 miles. The course weaves 5 miles through some side streets and circles back around to the same aid station with only 13 miles to the finish. The course follows much of the same route back to Campbell Community Center, where you can enjoy a delicious lunch. Download 50k Cue Sheet
- Challenge – 100km (62 miles), 4600 feet elevation. This challenging course is for experienced intermediate and advanced cyclists to test their climbing legs up the 8.5 miles category 2 climb up Page Mill Road to Skyline. Fill up your bottles and grab a snack at the aid station at the top of Page Mill, then safely enjoy the descent down Skyline and Highway 84. Rolling hills along Portola Road, Westridge Road, and Arastradero bring you back to Foothill Boulevard for an aid station in Los Altos. Then, it’s all flat back to Campbell Community Center, where you’ll recover with a well-earned lunch at the park. Download 100k Cue Sheet
Cost per rider as of July 5, 2014:
- Fun: $40 Adult, $35 Child
- Fitness Ride: $50
- Challenge: $60
All participants will receive lunch and a participant t-shirt. This year’s lunch is from Adam’s Grub Truck. Participants will get to choose from the following: panko crusted chicken sandwich, drunken pulled pork sandwich, portobello mushroom sandwich or grilled chicken sliders (2). Also note that t-shirts are unisex sizes. Selections will be requested when registering.
For kids who would like to participate in both the Fun Bike Ride and Kids Obstacle Course we will offer a $10 refund at check-in or 2 raffle tickets. Please indicate in the comments field that they are participating in both so we can adjust schedules accordingly.
Kids not riding their own bikes (i.e. riding in a trailer or bike seat with their parent’s bike) are not counted as a paid rider.
*For adult and young-adult cyclists who would like to participate in a road ride shorter than 50km, we suggest registering for the Fitness 50km ride, and turning back around along the route as desired. Please let us know in the comments, and we’ll provide additional instruction and recommendations.
Registration deadline is July 4, 2014 to guarantee t-shirt size. Registrations received prior to July 5th will be guaranteed the requested t-shirt size. After July 5th shirt sizes will be distributed as available. Fees will increase on July 5, 2014. Fees increase by $10 per rider.
For additional information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Potential routes are posted below. They are subject to change.